Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Forever Optimistic

"He bought the farm!" Why does this expression mean the same thing as 'take a dirt nap' or 'swim with the fishes'?  How does farming equal death?  I understand maybe the sense of being tied down, the farm is a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week, 365 day a year job.  It is more than a job, it is a lifestyle, one that has the power to consume you.  The cow carrying twins will always calve when it is -10 degrees and the waterer will always flood the barn when you have some where else to be, the hay will always be ready on Sunday.

So you laugh at me and say "You chose to do this?" You want to know why...because I am forever optimistic.  I believe everyday that I get up things will be better.  Milk price will be a little higher, my favorite cow will have a heifer instead of a bull, nothing will break today.  I wouldn't change what I do for a minute. I take pleasure in all the small things.  Teaching my girls the value of hard work, watching calves being born, raising those babies into mature cows, getting kisses from my cows, working alongside my husband.  Believing that what I do makes a difference and that farming is a privilege.

Everyday I have to believe that farminz' fun despite the obstacles, or why would we do it!


Emma, Tess and Leah: my 3 little farm girls!


No comments:

Post a Comment